Zur Navigation springen Zum Inhalt springen

How to Apply

If you are interested in studying at a university of applied sciences (UAS) in Germany, have a look at the information brochure published by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) to learn more about their distinctive features. This brochure is targeted at international students and provides an overview of the broad range of programmes offered at German UAS.

To learn more about the general admission requirements for German UAS and whether you are eligible to apply, visit the DAAD database on admission requirements.

For anyone who is interested in studying at a German university, either as an undergraduate or graduate student, we recommend taking the online course How to Study in Germany offered by the Virtual University Bavaria (VHB). It is especially relevant for those who wish to take part in a program taught in English, but it also provides useful information for exchange students and other degree-seeking students. To take part, follow this link. You have to register first before you can start the course. Naturally, the course is free of charge.


If you are a student of one of our partner universities and would like to study abroad at UAS Amberg-Weiden within the ERASMUS+ exchange programme, you should apply via the international office of your home institution. For detailed information about our institution, please see our Institutional Fact Sheet.

If your sending institution supports your request, we will send you a confirmation email with a link to our online application platform Mobility Online, where you have to enter your personal details and upload the requested documents, such as photograph, CV, transcript and letter of motivation. Finally, you have to select the modules you want to study and enter them into the Learning Agreement Form. Once the Learning Agreement has been approved by both universities, your studies can begin.

The deadline for applications is 31 May for the winter term and 30 November for the summer term (see academic calendar).


To apply for your student dormitory, choose one of the following options:

Once you have been approved by UAS Amberg-Weiden to participate in the exchange programme, the staff of the International Office will help you find accommodation. They will also assign you to a buddy, i.e. a German student who will be your mentor at the UAS Amberg-Weiden for the first weeks of your stay and will help you settle in.


Please make sure you have valid health insurance and consider getting a supplemental accident insurance policy as well as a personal liability insurance.

An International Student Identity Card (ISIC) may also be helpful during your stay. The ISIC entitles you to discounts on flights, accommodation, travel, shopping and entertainment all around the world.

Admission requirements and procedures

1. Qualifications

1.1. General conditions

Applicants for bachelor's programmes: To be admitted to a bachelor's degree programme at OTH Amberg-Weiden, you must first prove that you hold a general or subject-related German university entrance qualification (Abitur or equivalent qualification), or a university entrance qualification gained abroad that has been formally recognized as being equivalent. If you hold a master craftsman’s certificate, you can get a subject-bound admission to one of our degree programmes. Applicants who do not fulfil the requirements should apply to a preparatory college (Studienkolleg).

Applicants for master's programmes: Applicants must have completed their Bachelor's or Diploma studies in a relevant field of study with at least 210 ECTS and a good or very good average grade (2.5 German scale). Most of our Master's Programmes enable students to take an aptitude test if their overall grade is less than 2.5. Whether or not there is an aptitude test depends on the specific programme. Each programme has its own specific entrance requirements.

1.2. Academic credentials earned outside Germany

Applicants to bachelor's programmes: International applicants (including citizens of EU-member states) who have not obtained their higher education entrance qualification (i.e. secondary-school leaving certificate) in Germany must have their credentials reviewed and approved by UniAssist. UniAssist will assess on our behalf whether the applicants' qualifications meet our entry requirements. Please request VPD assessment for our University. The VPD is an evaluation report which indicates the applicant's average grade and recommended course and field of study. Please note that in the VPD procedure, you use the VPD received from uni-assist to apply directly to the university (here). Uni-Assist does not forward your application to the university in this procedure. You may submit your application via our online application portal before having received the VPD. However, your application will not be processed until you have uploaded the original VPD document. For further information regarding the application process at our university, please click here.

Applicants to master's programmes: Applicants who earned an undergraduate degree at a German university/university of applied sciences can apply directly for admission to the OTH. Applicants who obtained their first degree outside Germany, have to apply to Uni Assist first. Uni Assist will assess on our behalf whether the applicants' qualifications meet our admission requirements. If the applicant qualifies for admission, Uni Assist will issue a so-called VDP (a preliminary examination document). After having received the VDP, the applicants can apply for admission directly to OTH.

The final decision on the selection and admission of candidates is made by the examination board.

1.3. Pre-study practical placement (for bachelor's programmes)

Applicants who have not completed a professional training – for example those who have just finished their secondary school education – or those who wish to change their field of study after leaving a technical college, have to complete a practical placement of six to twelve weeks (depending on the chosen programme) before they begin their studies at OTH.

Exception: This placement can be done in full or part after the course start date if completing this training would delay the beginning of the studies unreasonably. However, exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.

1.4. Additional requirements for non-German citizens

1.4.1. Language skills

All applicants who are not German citizens and have earned their university entrance qualification outside Germany need to provide proof of sufficient German language proficiency. The following qualifications are recognised:

  • TestDaF, minimum level 3 in each partial examination (TDN 3), or
  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung (DSH) minimum Level 1, or
  • TELC (The European Language Certificate) German, Level B2 Hochschule or B2+ Business German, or
  • DSD II German Language Certificate, Level 2 of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany, or
  • Goethe-Zertifikat B2, or
  • ÖSD Zertifikat B2, or
  • Final Examination(FSP) passed at a Preparatory College for Foreign Applicants in Germany (Studienkolleg), or
  • Certificate of German Language Proficiency recognised for the admission to a German University on the basis of a bilateral agreement or an agreement made by the Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (KMK) or the University Rectors’ Conference (HRK)
  • German Language Examination B2 (successfully passed) within the Preparatory Course for Refugees offered by the OTH (only recognised for admission to the OTH Amberg-Weiden)

The proof of German language proficiency may be submitted until the end of the re-registration period. Timely submission of the proof of language proficiency is the prerequisite for re-registration.

For English-taught programmes, sufficient knowledge of the English language must be demonstrated by a language certificate corresponding to level B2 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. This proof can be provided by a valid/current IBT (Internet-Based Test) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of at least 80, IELTS Cambridge Test with 6, the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) with a score of at least 780, or equivalent proof, e.g. through corresponding modules in the final certificate. Proof is not required if the university entrance qualification or the university degree was obtained in an English-taught programme. Furthermore, proof of basic German language skills at the level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF) has to be provided. This proof of German language proficiency has to be submitted until the end of the first year of studies.

1.4.2. Residence permit

Upon entering Germany, non-EU students must have a valid residence permit.

2. Application period

Most of our bachelor's and master's degree programmes start both in the winter and summer term. The application period for the winter term begins on 15 May and ends on 15 July. The application period for the summer term begins on 15 November end ends on 15 January. If the number of applicants is lower than the number the University can take in, the application period may be extended.

The application form is available here.

3. Admission restrictions

The admission restrictions for each course of study are determined each year by the OTH Amberg-Weiden and then certified by the Bavarian Ministry of State for Science, Research and Arts.

Whether or not there is restricted admission (NC) depends on the number of applicants. Hence, it is not possible to determine beforehand which grade point average you need or how long you have to wait to get a university place.

4. Registration

After registration, you will officially become a student of the OTH Amberg-Weiden. Once you have provided certain documents (i.e. pre-study practical placement, health insurance, residence permit, etc.), you will receive an I.D. card, proof of study and further information material.

5. Scholarships

If you have questions about the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG), please contact Studentenwerk Oberfranken, Universitätsstraße 30, D-95447 Bayreuth, Tel.: +49 (921) 555-900.

6. Health insurance

If you want to study in Germany, you have to present proof that you have sufficient health insurance. If you are a student from a member state of the European Union and have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you do not have to take out health insurance in Germany because your health insurance is recognised here. If you have taken out your own private health insurance, you have to ask for exemption from the statutory health insurance. To do this, go to any local health insurance provider and ask for an exemption document. If the conditions of your private health insurance are equivalent to those required in Germany, your private insurance will be recognised. If you cannot provide proof of sufficient health insurance coverage, you have to take out German health insurance for students. The public health insurance policy costs about 110 Euros per month.

Statutory health insurance expires at the latest at the end of the term in which the student reaches the age of 30. After that, the student has to take out private health insurance.

Regulations for online studies: Students from non-contractual foreign countries (basically countries outside Europe) enrolled in purely virtual (i.e. online) degree programmes are generally exempt from the compulsory health insurance for students. However, they have take out pro-forma German statutory health insurance. As soon as the students enter Germany in the course of the ongoing term to continue their studies in a face-to-face manner, statutory health insurance for students is required. The membership begins on the day of enrolment at the earliest. If the students enrolled from abroad, the membership will become effective upon entering Germany.

For further information please refer to the information sheet on registration (mailed together with the certificates of admission) or visit the German version of our homepage.


Click on the button on the right to get to our application portal.

Nach oben