Welcome to the Department of Electrical Engineering, Media and Computer Science
Our Range of Services
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
dear visitors of our homepage,
I would like to welcome you to the website of the Department of Electrical Engineering, Media and Computer Science - in short, the Faculty EMI.
We offer study programs and conduct applied research and developments in the fields of electrical engineering and information technology, geoinformatics and land management, industrial informatics, engineering pedagogy, artificial intelligence, media informatics, and media technology and media production.
In eight Bachelor's and four Master's degree programs, our students prepare for challenging technical professions in current future fields. The study conditions at our department are characterized by small study groups, close contact between students and lecturers, and equipment at the highest technical level. Most of our degree programs can also be studied "dual", in combination with an apprenticeship.
You can find more details about our study programs and facilities under career fields, study programs and laboratories.
In addition to teaching, the professors of the EMI department carry out numerous research and development projects, in cooperation with other universities and research institutions, but especially with industrial partners from the region and beyond. You can find more information about research and development at the Faculty EMI under Fields of Competence, Projects and Laboratories.
Please feel free to contact us - we are open to questions, requests or suggestions.
With kind regards
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Ulrich Schäfer
Dean of the Department EMI
Numbers and Facts
- over 900 students and about 130 graduates per year
- 27 professors, reinforced by almost 20 lecturers
- 56 non-scientific and scientific employees, including 30 project engineers
- 17 laboratories
- affiliated institute aia (automations institut amberg)
Within the "large" areas of electrical engineering/information technology, computer science and media, the EMI department specifically occupies the following fields of competence. In these areas, the professors and their staff are constantly engaged in knowledge transfer with external partners within the framework of demanding projects, which in turn benefits teaching, for example in the form of specialization subjects and theses.
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- Plant automation / An-Institut aia (automations institut amberg)
- Electric drives
- Power Electronics
- Signal processing / communication technology
- Study programs Geoinformatics and Land Management, Industry 4.0 Informatics and Media Informatics
- Information Security
- Mobile & Physical Computing
- Visual Computing
- Vocational specialization electrical engineering and information technology
- Computer Science
- Vocational education and social sciences
- Data Analytics & Computer Vision
- Smart Energy und Smart Home
- Smart Robotics & Smart Media
Media Production and- Design
- Digital Media
- Information visualization
- Image- und Product Movie
For more information, see Projects and Labs.
History of the department
The Departmernt of EMI was the first of today's four departments at OTH Amberg-Weiden to be established in 1994, the year in which the university was founded, and it began offering courses in 1995. The expansion of its range of subjects since then, with a corresponding increase in staff and steadily growing student numbers, can best be seen in the development of the range of courses offered (the courses currently offered are highlighted in bold):
- 1995: Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- 1999: Diploma in Software Systems Engineering
- 2003: Bachelor of Media Production and Media Technology
- 2006: Bachelor of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- 2006: Bachelor Applied Computer Science
since 2012 with the majors Industrial Informatics and Media Informatics
- 2006: Master IT and Automation
- 2008: Master Media Technology and Media Production
- 2013: Master Applied Research in Engineering Sciences (in cooperation with 6 other universities)
- 2017: Bachelor's degree programs in Industry 4.0 Informatics and Media Informatics
since 2018 with the specialization Geoinformatics and Land Management
- 2018: Bachelor Geoinformatics and Land Management
since 2020 with the majors Engineering Pedagogy and Artificial Intelligence
- 2020: Bachelor's degree in engineering education with the vocational specialization in electrical engineering and information technology
- 2020: Bachelor Artificial Intelligence
- 2020: Master Artificial Intelligence
- 2021: Bachelor Artificial Intelligence - International (from summer semester 2021)