Zur Navigation springen Zum Inhalt springen

Incomings - Amberg/Weiden ... here I come!

Welcome Address of our President, Prof. Dr. Clemens Bulitta

Impressions of OTH Amberg-Weiden

Have a look at what our exchange students have to say

There are two options for international students to study at OTH Amberg-Weiden: Either as a full-time student or as part of an exchange program. Our Welcome Guide for International Students provides everything you need to know about your stay abroad, from the initial planning over application, health insurance and accommodation.

For refugees wishing to study  we have special programs involving German language instruction, job application training and scientific research and writing. If you want to learn more, please go to Information for Refugees.

Exchange Students

Would you like to study with us for one or two exchange semesters? This is only possible if there is a partnership between your university and ours. You can find out whether such a partnership exists at the International Office of your home university.

First of all, your university must nominate you for an exchange program with us. The nomination is made by the International Office of your university. After your university has nominated you, you will receive a confirmation of your nomination and a link to the online registration in the "Mobility Online" portal.

Watch this tutorial to find out how to apply via "Mobility Online".

In the portal you enter your personal data and upload your application documents. Finally, you enter the modules you wish to take during your studies at our university and create your Learning Agreement. As soon as your Learning Agreement has been approved by both universities, there is nothing to stop you from studying with us.

Application deadlines:

31 May for the winter semester and 30 November for the summer semester.

For detailed information about our institution regarding contacts, grading scheme etc., please see our Institutional Fact Sheet.

An International Student Identity Card (ISIC) may also be helpful during your stay. The ISIC entitles you to discounts on flights, accommodation, travel, shopping and entertainment all around the world.

To participate in an exchange program with our instiution, you have to be enrolled in one of our partner institutions.

The language requirement for participation in our German-taught degree programs is German B2. If you want to study in one of our English-taught programmes, you have to have English skills at the level B2. We also recommend German skills A2 so that you are able to get along well in Germany.

We offer two English-taught programs

as well as one bilingual program

The Language Center of OTH offers extra-curricular language courses in German, English, Spanish and further languages.

Students from the Schengen region (Europe) do not need a visa for entering Germany. Exchange students from non-European countries have to apply for a student visa and a blocked account for the duration of their stay.

Exchange students in Germany have to have a valid health insurance. Students from EU-member states who have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) do not have to take out statutory health insurance in Germany. If you have a private health insurance from your home country, you have to apply for exemption from the statutory health insurance with any public health insurance provider in Germany. If the German health insurance provider does not recognize your private insurance, you have to take out health insurance for students. The costs are approx. 110 Euros.

We have reserved places in the student dorm for our exchange students. But please do not forget to apply for your place.

To apply, please visit the website of "Studentenwerk Oberfranken" and apply for a place either in Amberg oder in Weiden, depending on the location of the program you are in. Please fill out this Application Form.

Please contact us at the International Office well ahead of your arrival to let us know when you arrive. We will organize your access to the student apartment.

Please note that the student apartments are not fully equipped. Please bring:

  • bed linen
  • pillow and blanket
  • coat hangers
  • kitchen equipment
  • adapter for socket

If you need any of the above, please contact the International Office.

After having registered for the apartment in the student residence, you will get a so-called Wohnungsgeberbestätigung. This is a confirmation that you have rented an apartment and that you have a place to live.

Now you have to register at the resident’s registration office in Amberg or Weiden. To register, you have to submit your passport and your Wohnungsgeberbestätigung. Students from non-EU states have to also register with the foreigner’s office and apply for a residence permit.

If you need help with the registration process, contact your International Office.

English-taught Programs

To strengthen our international profile we are aiming to offer more English-taught degree programs. Currently, there are four programs whose language of instruction is English. The language requirement for these programs is English B2 (TOEFL 80, IELTS 6, TOEIC 780, other internationally recognized certificates at level ALTE 3) as well as German A2. Some programs are both English and German-taught. The language requirement for these programs is German and English B2.

Undergraduate Programs (Bachelor):

International Business (English)

For more information and for the selection of modules, please view the Course Catalogue.

Digital Technology & Management (English)

For more information and for the selection of modules, please view the Course Catalogues.

Artificial Intelligence International (Hybrid, English and German)

For more information and for the selection of modules, please view the Course Catalogue.

Graduate Programs (Master):

International Management & Sustainability (English)

For more information and for the selection of modules, please view the Course Catalogue.

International Energy Engineering (English)

For more information and for the selection of modules, please view the Course Catalogue.

General Information for International Applicants

If you are interested in studying at a university or university of applied sciences, you will find everything you need to know in the information brochure of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The brochure is particularly aimed at international students. It provides an overview of the wide range of courses on offer at German universities as well as the special features of the German university system.

If you would like to know whether you meet the general admission requirements for German universities and whether you are qualified to apply, check the DAAD database for general admission requirements.

We recommend that anyone wishing to study at a German university or university of applied sciences in a Bachelor's or Master's program take the online course How to Study in Germany offered by the Virtual University of Bavaria (VHB). This course is especially for those who want to study in an English-speaking program. However, it is also of interest to exchange students and general full-time students. You must register for the course. The course is free of charge.

Getting off to a perfect start with your studies at OTH AW!
Have fun!

Housing in Germany

International Full-Time Students

Applicants for bachelor's programs: To be admitted to a bachelor's degree program at OTH Amberg-Weiden, you must first prove that you hold a general or subject-related German university entrance qualification (Abitur or equivalent qualification), or a university entrance qualification gained abroad that has been formally recognized as being equivalent. If you hold a master craftsman’s certificate, you can get a subject-bound admission to one of our degree programs. Applicants who do not fulfil the requirements should apply for admission to a preparatory college (Studienkolleg).

Applicants for master's programs: Applicants must have completed their Bachelor's or Diploma studies in a relevant field of study with at least 210 ECTS and a good or very good average grade (2.5 German scale). Most of our master's programs enable students to take an aptitude test if their overall grade is less than 2.5. Whether or not there is an aptitude test depends on the specific program. Each program has its own specific entry requirements.

Application for bachelor's programs: International applicants (including citizens of EU-member states) who have not obtained their higher education entrance qualification (i.e. secondary-school leaving certificate) in Germany must have their credentials reviewed and approved by UniAssist. UniAssist will assess on our behalf whether the applicants' qualifications meet our entry requirements. Please request VPD assessment for our University. The VPD is an evaluation report which indicates the applicant's average grade and recommended course and field of study. Please note that in the VPD procedure, you use the VPD received from uni-assist to apply directly to the university (here). Uni-Assist does not forward your application to the university in this procedure. You may submit your application via our online application portal before having received the VPD. However, your application will not be processed until you have uploaded the original VPD document.

Pre-study practical placement (for bachelor's programs)

Applicants who have not completed a professional training – for example those who have just finished their secondary school education – or those who wish to change their field of study after leaving a technical college, have to complete a practical placement of six to twelve weeks (depending on the chosen program) before they begin their studies at OTH.

Exception: This placement can be done in full or part after the course start date if completing this training would delay the beginning of the studies unreasonably. However, exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.

Application for master's programs: Applicants who earned an undergraduate degree at a German university/university of applied sciences can apply directly for admission to the OTH. Applicants who obtained their first degree outside Germany, have to apply to Uni Assist first. Uni Assist will assess on our behalf whether the applicants' qualifications meet our admission requirements. If the applicant qualifies for admission, Uni Assist will issue a so-called VDP (a preliminary examination document). UniAssist can take up to 8 weeks to issue a VPD, so please apply for the VPD as early as possible. You can submit your application to OTH as soon as the application period starts and add your VPD to your application as soon as you receive it, as long as that is before the OTH application deadline.

The final decision on the selection and admission of candidates is made by the examination board.

Admission restrictions

The admission restrictions for each course of study are determined each year by the OTH Amberg-Weiden and then certified by the Bavarian Ministry of State for Science, Research and Arts.

Whether or not there is restricted admission (NC) depends on the number of applicants. Hence, it is not possible to determine beforehand which grade point average you need or how long you have to wait to get a university place.

Application period

Most of our bachelor's and master's degree programmes start both in the winter and summer term. The application period for the winter term begins on 1 May and ends on 15 July (for some master programmes only until 15 June). The application period for the summer term begins on 15 November end ends on 15 January (for some master programmes 15 December). If the number of applicants is lower than the number the University can take in, the application period may be extended.

The application form is available here.


If your application was successful, you will receive a preliminary admission letter, requesting you to:

  • confirm acceptance of the place offered
  • upload any missing documents
  • arrange health insurance
  • pay the administrative/semester fee
  • upload a passport type photo of yourself for your student ID card

Once you have completed the required steps, you will be enrolled and receive a letter confirming this: some students will need this letter for their visa application. You will also receive an email address and user ID for the Primuss portal for student administration. When you have an OTH email address you must always use it for communications with the OTH.

Please note: it is important to make a visa appointment (if you require a visa) and start looking for accommodation as early as possible.

German skills

All applicants who are not German citizens and have earned their university entrance qualification outside Germany need to provide evidence of sufficient German language ability. The following qualifications are recognised:

  • TestDaF, with at least TDN 4 in three subtests and at least TDN 3 in the remaining subtest.
  • DSH I – Deutsche Sprachprüfung (DSH) at least Level 1, or
  • TELC (The European Language Certificate) German, Level B2 or B2+ Business German, or
  • DSD II German Language Certificate, Level 2 of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany, or
  • Goethe-Zertifikat B2, or
  • Final Examination (Feststellungsprüfung FSP) passed at a Preparatory College for Foreign Applicants in Germany (Studienkolleg), or
  • Certificate of German Language Proficiency recognised for the admission to a German University on the basis of a bilateral agreement or an agreement made by the Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (KMK) or the University Rectors’ Conference (HRK)
  • ÖSD Zertifikat B2, or
  • German Language Examination B2 (successfully passed) within the Preparatory Course for Refugees offered by the OTH (only recognised for admission to the OTH Amberg-Weiden)

The evidence of German language proficiency may be submitted until the end of the re-registration period. Timely submission is the prerequisite for re-registration.

For English-taught programs, sufficient knowledge of the English language must be demonstrated by a language certificate corresponding to level B2 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. This evidence can be provided by a valid/current IBT (Internet-Based Test) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of at least 71, IELTS Cambridge Test with 6, the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) with a score of at least 780, or equivalent proof, e.g. through corresponding modules in the final certificate. Evidence is not required if the university entrance qualification or the university degree was obtained in an English-taught program. Furthermore, evidence of basic German language ability at the level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF) has to be provided. The following qualifications for A2 German are recognized:

  1. TELC (The European Language Certificate) German, Level A2
  2. Goethe-Zertifikat A2

This evicence of German language ability has to be submitted until the end of the first year of studies.

In the respective statutes or study and examination regulations (SPO), a deviation from the language ability requirements in Section 3 and Section 5 in the Matriculation Statutes (“Immatrikulationssatzung”), as well as the requirement of English ability in German-taught courses of study may be provided for in justified exceptional cases for individual courses of study. Please check the respective requirements of your chosen study program.

Residence permit

To study in Germany, non-EU students must have a valid residence permit. To obtain the residence permit, students have to submit the following documents

  • visa
  • evidence of a blocked account
  • health insurance policy
  • enrolment certificate
  • a photograph
  • proof of registration at the citizen’s office

The fee is currently 100 euros.

If you have a visa for studying purposes, the residence permit is tied to the study program. Changing a course of studies or breaking off studies may lead to loss of the right of residence. You may change your course of study within the first three semesters (18 months). If you change the university or your course of studies, you must apply to the Foreigners Registration Department at the university’s district authority (i.e. Weiden or Amberg) for a new residence permit for studies immediately after you have taken up your university place and registered as a student.

A residence permit for a stay as an au pair or for voluntary service in Germany may be converted into a residence permit for purposes of study; however, application must be submitted to the Foreigners Registration Department well before the existing residence permit expires.

If you have a working visa, you are not allowed to study. You have to go back to your home country and apply for a new visa.

Foreigners’ Office Amberg

Foreigners’ Office Weiden

If you want to study in Germany, you have to present proof that you have sufficient health insurance. If you are a student from a member state of the European Union and have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you do not have to take out health insurance in Germany because your health insurance is recognised here. If you have taken out your own private health insurance, you have to ask for exemption from the statutory health insurance. To do this, contact any local health insurance provider and ask for an exemption. If the conditions of your private health insurance are equivalent to those required in Germany, your private insurance will be recognised. If you cannot provide proof of sufficient health insurance coverage, you have to take out German health insurance for students.

Statutory health insurance expires at the latest at the end of the term in which the student reaches the age of 30. After that, the student has to take out private health insurance.

The health insurance provider will automatically inform the Office of Student Affairs of OTH Amberg-Weiden about your insurance status. You do not have to submit any documents.

There are several options for accommodation for our students. There are student dormitories as well as private apartments.

If you want to live in a student dorm, apply to the "Studentenwerk Oberfranken" for dorms in Amberg and in Weiden by filling out the application form.

To find private housing, check private apartments (information is only available in German)

You may also want to check the following:



Shared Apartments

Ebay Classified Ads

The academic year at the University of Applied Sciences Amberg-Weiden is divided into two terms, the winter and the summer term.

Winter Term: 1 October - 14 March
Lecture period: 1 October -31 January
Examination period: 1 February - 14 February
Holidays: Christmas (2 weeks in late December)
15 February - 14 March
Summer Term: 15 March - 30 September
Lecture period: 15 March - 30 September
Examination period: 15 July - 31 July
Holidays: 1 August - 30 September

International Student Club

About the ISC

Hello and welcome to the International Student Club (ISC) of OTH AW.
We are a student-organised body of the International Office and active both at the campus in Amberg and in Weiden.

Our main goal is simple: we want to promote contact between our international and German students. Students from all over the world should feel welcome and at home at OTH AW. To achieve this, we not only organise regular events on site, but also organise various excursions near and far.

The ISC should be a place to make friends and experience new things together, a place of mutual respect and togetherness. We also want to encourage German students to venture abroad and serve as an informal contact point for international students.

Studying is more than professional expertise. This time is also about discovery, friendships and experiencing unique moments. The friends and experiences gained during this time shape us for life.

Because shared memories connect us: With excursions to the near and far surroundings, we want to make it possible for international and German students to explore our region, Germany and our neighbouring countries in an affordable way. Through regular meetings, such as the International Café or cooking evenings in both Amberg and Weiden, we offer the opportunity for intercultural encounters and promote contact between our students.

You do not have to join the ISC to participate in our events, but some events require pre-registration.

You can find current events in our calendar below, or follow us on social media to make sure you don't miss anything.

More than 700 international students from over 80 different nations study at OTH AW.

The ISC wants to bring people and their different cultures together. We stand for the values of tolerance, equality, community and friendship.

In line with the university's mission statement, we want to help international and German students to quickly feel at home at our university and in the surrounding area, to build up an international network and to encourage them to take the step abroad themselves.

Regardless of whether you are studying business, technical or creative subjects - inspiration is the basis for everything and makes new paths possible. In contact with other cultures and through new experiences, you get new impulses and can broaden your horizons.

Tolerance, respect and understanding for other cultures arise through exchange and contact. This is how we want to contribute to a successful and lively university community.

The ISC is open to all students of the OTH AW.
Everyone is welcome to join us.

Of course, you don't have to be a member of the club to take part in the events.

You think our ideas are great and would like to actively participate in one of our working groups, such as event planning or social media? Just write to us directly and become part of the ISC team - we look forward to meeting you!

How to contact us

International Buddy Program

The International Buddy Program enables international students of the OTH AW to get to know German students and to have contact persons for questions and problems that arise. Further, German students who are interested in international and intercultural exchange have the opportunity to meet students from all over the world.

Buddies are committed students who are interested in international exchange and who help international students during the semester. Activities of the buddies are for example the support by dealing with authorities and help with questions/problems that arise during the daily study life.

Are you interested in becoming a Buddy or would you like to get supported as an international student? Then get in contact with us :)
Email: isc@oth-aw.de

Documents Download – Registration for Participation in the International Buddy Program (English)

Dokumenten Download zur Anmeldeformular für die Teilnahme am Internationalen Buddy Programm (Deutsch)

Nach oben