Sustainability and ethics in teaching
The focus of the Institute's teaching staff in the area of sustainability and ethics is on CSR, human rights, labor relations, stakeholder management, the environment and anti-corruption, among others. Embedded in integrative methods of process management (participatory stakeholder dialogues, sustainability reporting according to the Global Reporting Initiative), this content is developed in an applied manner.
The institute thus pursues the goal of
- To create a framework in which ethical reflection is possible,
- to confront students with valid ethical norms and to practice their application,
- to design practical projects that enable the transfer of theory into practice.
UN Principles for Responsible Management Education.
With the goal of expanding such teaching units, the Institute supports the university in its efforts to integrate the UN Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) into teaching and research. The ultimate purpose is to develop students' skills so that they can create lasting value for businesses and for society at large and work for an inclusive and sustainable economy. To this end, academic activities (university projects) and curricula will incorporate the values of global social responsibility. The Institute for Sustainability in Technology and Economics creates frameworks, materials, processes, and a supporting environment for this purpose. It coordinates and designs courses in the field of applied ethics and sustainability.
M.A. International Management & Sustainability
In the Master's program International Management & Sustainability, taught in English, you will learn how to take responsibility for an economy that is fit for the future. The program combines current issues from the fields of
- International management (e.g. strategic management, value chains, project management) and
- Sustainability (including climate change, sustainability management, environmental economics).
The range of subjects is supplemented by the fundamentals of corporate responsibility (including social entrepreneurship) and general management. In addition to the business education, you will work on your personal development and leadership skills.
The Master's program in International Management & Sustainability is a consecutive program with an applied profile. It is aimed at prospective students who have already completed a university degree in a business, social or cultural scientific fields. Upon successful completion of the program, you will be awarded the academic degree Master of Arts (M.A.). This will enable you to start your career as a broadly educated subject matter expert with leadership responsibility in a global environment.
For more information on the M.A. International Management & Sustainability, please click hier.
Die MitarbeiterInnen des Instituts bieten folgende Lehrveranstaltungen an:
- Philosophy of Technology / Information Ethics (together with Prof. Dr. Dominik Heckmann, B.A. Media Informatics)
- Business Ethics (B.A. Business Administration / Trade and Service Management)
- Business and Engineering Ethics (B.A. Renewable Energies)
- Ethics in Media Technology (B.A. Media Technology and Media Production)
- Ethical Argumentation in Business and Society (B.A. Business Administration / Trade and Service Management)
- Digital Ethics / Ethics and Value Management (M.A. Digital Business)
- Intercultural Management & Business Ethics (M.A. Applied Business Psychology / International Management & Sustainability)
- General Sustainable Development (M.A. International Management & Sustainability)
- Corporate Sustainability Management (M.A. International Management & Sustainability)
- Corporate Governance, Compliance & CSR (M.A. International Management & Sustainability)
- Stakeholder Management & Business Excellence (M.A. International Management & Sustainability)
- Block seminar (Certificate Ethics and Sustainability)
The institute accompanies qualification theses (Bachelor and Master theses) on the topics of sustainability and ethics. At this point you will regularly find suggestions for topics. You can also contact us with your suggestions at any time.
Since we can only supervise a limited number of qualification theses within our capacities, please note the following:
Please prepare a one-page synopsis that shows a relation to the topics. Please send us your elaboration by e-mail, as this will serve for an initial interview.
Current Topic Proposals:
Competence expectations of companies for graduates in business ethics/CSR/sustainability areas.
Implementation and application of the Sustainable Development Goals by German member companies of the UN Global Compact
Implementation and acceptance of the law on the acceptability of electronic goods
- What role do values/sustainability play in business start-ups in Northern Bavaria?
- How well do graduates of OTH feel they have been trained in sustainability / responsibility?
- Corporate (Social) Responsibility - What responsibility do companies bear?
- Compliance and Integrity Management
- Digital ethics - Analysis of business ethical opportunities and risks in the digital transformation
Completed qualification work:
- CSR in horse keeping companies - An applied example of ISO 26000 (Faculty of Business Administration)
Sustainability reporting with GRI (Faculty of Business Administration) Analysis of human rights and the most important human rights documents of the UN (Faculty of Business Administration)
Freedom of association according to ILO core labor standards at food discounter LiDL (Faculty of Business Administration)
Use of indicators for sustainability assessment in controlling using the example of GRI 4 (Faculty of Business Administration)
Student project work
The Institute for Sustainability accompanies student project works together with the Environmental Management.
Currently open topics for assignment:
- Development of role descriptions for environmental management
- Creation of an environmental program (formulation of environmental goals and measures)
- Creation of an internal training program for environmental management
- Creation of a legal register for environmental management
- Revision of the environmental management homepage
- Development of an environmentally friendly mobility concept
- Checking and optimizing the university buildings (building and energy management)
- Preparation of an English environmental management workshop for the Summer School
- Introduction of a revised waste separation and waste reduction system
- Terminology for environmental management
- Preparation of an environmental statement
- CO2 balancing of the OTH Amberg-Weiden
- Creation of an environmental management manual
- Further development steps of ISO/EMAS to EMASplus
- Analysis of the previous procurement and elaboration of a sustainable procurement
The work can be processed and credited in different study courses.
For detailed information about the project work please contact our environmental management representative Mr. Georg Klampfl