For prospective students
You have the choice!
Are you motivated and want to reach your goal quickly?
Opt for a dual study programme in one of the variants:
- Combined studies = university studies + regular vocational training
- Studies with in-depth practice = studies + intensive practical phases in a company during the lecture-free periods
You want to study and obtain a vocational qualification at the same time? Then you should opt for the combined degree programme.
How does the combined study programme work?
- At OTH Amberg-Weiden, you choose a subject that you can study in combination with an apprenticeship. You can find an overview of all combined study programmes in the database.
- Then you apply for an apprenticeship at a company of your choice that cooperates with the OTH Amberg-Weiden in the desired degree programme. You can find out which companies these are in the database. Or you can apply to a company of your choice that does not yet cooperate (simply ask them about a possible cooperation with OTH Amberg-Weiden).
- Now you sign a training contract with your company and then apply for a place at the OTH Amberg-Weiden.
- After up to 14 months in the company, you begin your studies at the OTH Amberg-Weiden. University and practical phases now alternate during your studies.
- You usually take your IHK/HWK examination or those of other competent chambers in the 3rd year of training.
- After passing the final vocational examination, you will complete further practical units in the company during the lecture-free periods and, if applicable, additional practical semesters during your studies.
- The dual study programme ends with a company-related Bachelor's thesis.
How are you contractually secured?
Before you start the joint degree programme, you conclude a contract with your company that regulates the type and scope of practical assignments, holiday entitlement, remuneration, etc. (e.g. vocational training contract + education contract).
Do you want to start directly on two tracks, study and practice should complement each other from the beginning? Are you not aiming for integrated vocational training, but rather the collection of practical work experience?
In this case, the degree programme with in-depth practical experience is the right choice. Your studies and practical work in the company are coordinated, with university periods alternating with work experience right from the start. You go through intensive practical phases during which you get to know your company thoroughly. The strong plus: up to 100 percent more practical experience than in conventional studies.
And after only 3.5 years you have a recognised degree in your pocket.
How does the study programme with in-depth practice work?
- At the OTH Amberg-Weiden, you choose your desired subject as a degree programme with in-depth practical experience. You can find an overview of all degree programmes with in-depth practical training in the database.
- You apply to a company that cooperates with the OTH Amberg-Weiden in the desired field of study. You can find out which companies these are in the database. Or you can apply at a company of your choice that does not yet cooperate with OTH Amberg-Weiden (just ask them about a possible cooperation with OTH Amberg-Weiden).
- Once you have signed an employment contract with your company, you can apply for the desired study place. And off you go.
OR: You start your studies first and find a company for the practical phases from the 2nd/3rd/4th semester during your studies (1st-3rd semester) according to the same scheme as described above.
CONCLUSION: The entry into the degree programme with in-depth practice is flexible. Which modality is chosen also depends on the company.
- University and practical phases (practical phases during the practical semester and semester breaks) alternate regularly during the degree programme. You enter into professional practice intensively by doing project work as well as the "day-to-day business" in the contracting company. The transition to work is smooth due to the thorough practical experience.
- You finish the dual study programme with a practice-oriented Bachelor's thesis in the company.
All dual study programmes that receive the "hochschule dual" seal of quality and are marketed under the umbrella brand hochschule dual (e.g. through inclusion in the study guide, presentation on the website hochschule-dual.de, etc.) meet very specific quality standards.
In this way, the "hochschule dual" brand guarantees the high quality and attractiveness of all dual study programmes offered by Bavarian universities of applied sciences.
The dual study programme opens up optimal career opportunities for you.
Through the interlocking of theory and practice, you will acquire a highly qualified and comprehensive academic education in the shortest possible time, which fully meets the requirements profile of today's companies.
This speaks for the dual study programme:
- You acquire extensive practical and professional knowledge in the company of your choice.
- You benefit from optimal integration into company structures, working methods and project processes.
- You train important key qualifications in practice.
- You are financially secure due to the continuous remuneration of your performance.
- Your job and career opportunities are excellent - the takeover rate is almost 100%.
- Particularly in the combined study programme, your total training time is shortened by several years in some cases (compared to the conventional path: first apprenticeship, then study).
- You enter your desired profession earlier and experience a smooth transition from study to work.
You can find an overview of all dual study opportunities at OTH Professional in our database.
OTH Professional is also a member of "hochschule dual". You can search for all dual study programmes at Bavarian universities of applied sciences in the hochschule dual portal.
How do I apply?
- With an Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, master craftsman's examination (or equivalent advanced training examination), you fulfil the admission requirements for the university. For particularly qualified professionals, subject-specific admission is also possible.
- You should find out about suitable dual courses of study at least 18 months before you graduate from school or complete your vocational training. It's especially important to get in early if you're interested in a combined degree programme.
- Approximately 12 to 14 months before the start of the dual study programme, you should apply for a training place at the company of your choice. It is also possible to apply to companies that do not yet work with us (just ask them about a possible cooperation with OTH Amberg-Weiden).
- Once you have successfully completed the training or internship contract at the company, you apply to the university for your place. Please note the application deadlines at the universities. You can find separate information about applying to the OTH Amberg-Weiden here.
Application deadlines for university studies:
Winter semester: 02 May - 15 July
Summer semester: 01 December - 15 January
Application deadlines for an apprenticeship in a company:
Some companies hire as early as one year before the start of the apprenticeship. Please enquire early with the companies that are of interest to you. Apply in good time!
As a rule of thumb, the sooner you apply, the better your chances of getting a training place in a company for dual studies!
In our database you will find the addresses of the cooperating companies.
If your company of choice is not yet a partner of our university, you can become active yourself! Take the initiative and point out the possibility of a dual study programme to companies.
If you have any organisational questions, please feel free to contact us at any time.