Program Global Research in Sustainable Engineering
Teaching language: English!
Master Program Global Research in Sustainable Engineering
Research and development play a major role in all areas of technology. They are drivers of technological progress and have a significant influence on all phases of the development process - from idea generation and conception to the introduction of new products and processes.
In the Master's program Global Research in Sustainable Engineering, you as a Bachelor or Diploma graduate have the opportunity to work in the field of application-oriented research and development of innovative products and processes in an international environment. It is therefore primarily aimed at prospective students who see their future professional focus in the field of practice-oriented research. It also offers the possibility of a subsequent doctorate and creates the basis for later management responsibility.
The study program is closely linked to a research project and is accompanied by in-depth courses tailored to the respective project. During the entire duration of the program, students are supervised by a professor from OTH Amberg-Weiden and a professor from one of the international partners of this program.
In addition to the technical content, you will also become familiar with organizational procedures, how to act and perform successfully in complex projects, such as larger international research projects.
The Master's program Global Research in Sustainable Engineering is offered in cooperation with international partner universities. You will spend at least 1 semester at OTH Amberg-Weiden and at least 1 semester at one of the partner universities. In addition, joint seminars and conferences are held as part of the program.
At the end you will have the theoretical, methodological and communicative competences necessary for a scientific as well as for a practical activity in research and development in an international environment.
The following partner universities work with the program (more will be added over time):
Science takes place both in a national and international context. Therefore, globalisation in research and development plays an important role in more and more companies and institutions.
The knowledge and professional, methodological, social and personal competences provided by this degree programme will qualify you for demanding activities in research and development. You can work in scientifically oriented innovative development departments of large, internationally active organisations for application-oriented research, such as the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, or in small and medium-sized enterprises.
Further examples of suitable areas of employment are innovation and knowledge management and strategic consulting of company management.
Thus, the Master's programme Global Research in Sustainable Engineering offers excellent career opportunities in business and science in the global job market. In addition to technical competence, leadership skills are required, especially in the implementation of research and development projects, in order to manage and successfully complete projects which are usually designed for a longer period of time. Due to its extended contents, the degree programme prepares you in the best possible way for these leadership tasks. Thus, the education qualifies you for the management of globally operating development departments or similar areas. You are predestined for key positions where intercultural competence must be paired with professional competence. The international network within which the students conduct their research will additionally facilitate the start of your career in the global job market. The programme’s strong research focus also offers you first-class opportunities for doctoral studies.
You want to apply for the Master's program Global Research in Sustainable Engineering at our university? The program starts in the summer semester as well as in the winter semester.
ATTENTION: For the application a confirmation of supervision signed by a professor from OTH-AW and a partner university is nessecary!
Application for the winter semester 21/22
For the winter semester starting on October 1, 2021, you can apply online from May 25 to September 8. For students with a Bachelor's degree with 210 ECTS* credits (is only determined after the evaluation by Uni-Assist), a start of studies is generally only possible from summer semester 2022.
Application period for the summer semester
For the summer semester starting on March 15, you can apply from November 20 to December 15. In exceptional cases, we extend the application deadlines of individual study programs. On the applicant portal, you can find out whether you can still apply for this degree program.
Application period for the winter semester starting with winter semester 22/23
For the winter semester starting on October 1, you can apply online from May 01 to June 15. In exceptional cases, we extend the application deadlines of individual study programs. You can find out whether you can still apply for this degree program in the applicant portal.
Due to the special nature of this degree program, more documents are required than for an application to a "normal" Master's program and are therefore clearly summarized below:
- General information such as name, gender, contact details, photo, etc.
- Proof of a completed bachelor's or diploma degree in an engineering field of study
- Proof of knowledge of the English language
- A curriculum vitae in tabular form
- A letter of motivation (in English, maximum 1 page) in which the applicant presents why he/she would like to study this particular Master's program.
- A signed confirmation of supervision from a professor at the OTH Amberg-Weiden and a supervisor from a partner university, in which the research topic is defined
- If applicable: project and final thesis to prove special skills in organizing and carrying out projects in engineering and natural sciences
All documents must be submitted in German or English!
Since a confirmation of supervision is a prerequisite, it is recommended that applicants inform themselves in advance about the fields of work of the professors as well as the research work offered and contact the respective professors. Professors at the partner universities are also suitable contacts.
Admission requirements and admission procedure
To participate in the Master's program "Global Research in Sustainable Engineering", you should have the following qualities:
- A sound knowledge of the engineering discipline you have studied
- Ability to think analytically
- Creativity to develop new solutions
- Ability to express yourself orally and in writing
- Willingness to work independently
- A completed Bachelor's or Diploma degree in an engineering field: e.g. mechanical engineering, environmental engineering, energy technology, process engineering, biotechnology, electrical engineering, mechatronics, information technology, computer science, medical technology or similar
- Only for applicants with a degree obtained outside the EU: You must submit your degree certificate to Uni-Assist yourself and have it evaluated. Result of the evaluation (VPD) should include
- The overall final grade of the degree program according to the German grading system
- The number of credit points according to the ECTS*: either 180 ECTS points or 210 ECTS points
- A final grade of 2.5 or better (evaluation according to the German grading system) or belonging to the top 40% of graduates of your program in your final year (proof required)
- Signed Confirmation of supervision for a research topic. During the entire duration of the degree programme, students are supervised by a professor of the OTH Amberg-Weiden and a professor of one of the international partners of this degree programme.
- Knowledge of the English language at least at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference. Proof through one of the following English language tests with the following minimum score: TOEFL IBT - 80 / IELTS Cambridge - 6 / TOEIC - 780. Proof is not required if the university entrance qualification or the university degree was obtained in English.
- Knowledge of the German language at least at level A1: Proof by the end of the first year of study at the latest.
Graduation with 180 ECTS* points:
Enrollment is only possible once a year for the winter semester, combined with the requirement to make up the difference of 30 ECTS* credits by taking modules from an existing bachelor's degree program at OTH Amberg-Weiden. For this purpose, there is a special offer of English-language modules, the so-called bridge modules. These are only offered in the winter semester.
Graduation with 210 ECTS* points:
Participation in the bridge semester is highly recommended. In this case, it counts as voluntary work.
* ECTS = European Credit Transfer System stands for the Credit Point System, which is valid in all member states of the European Union (EU). Uni-Assist evaluates all degrees that were not earned in the EU and converts the final grade into the German grading system.
If all basic requirements are fulfilled, each applicant must prove his or her special talent in approaching scientific questions and in organizing and carrying out scientific projects within the framework of an aptitude test. For this purpose, a selection interview, either in person or online, will be conducted as follows:
- Presentation on a scientific topic assigned by the selection committee at least 2 weeks prior to the selection interview (approx. 20 min).
- Interview by the selection committee (approx. 10 min)
The selection interview is graded according to the following criteria:
- Ability to approach a topic from a technical/scientific point of view.
- Methodical approach in the development of solutions
- Systematic approach in the evaluation of solutions
- Proven skills in organizing and carrying out engineering and scientific projects based on project work and final thesis.
- Presentation and personal aptitude
- Structuring and presenting a scientific topic
- Clear structure and restriction to the essentials
- Oral expression
- Communication skills in English
An average grade is calculated from the grade of the selection interview and the final grade of the Bachelor's program. If this is 2.5 or better, the applicant will be admitted and will receive a corresponding notification.