Find out in good time what kind of insurance you need to sign up for your stay abroad. The health insurance card is valid for the whole of the EU member states, but you should still consider taking out additional insurance to be able to finance the necessary medical treatment and repatriation to Germany if necessary. For internships abroad, you must always take out liability and accident insurance. The DAAD information pages provide information on the required insurance cover and on inexpensive group insurance policies.
An International Student Identity Card (ISIC) may also prove useful for your stay. This card entitles you to discounts on flights, accommodation, travel, shopping and entertainment worldwide.
Further information on the ISIC
For travel to countries with a critical security situation, you should register with the Federal Foreign Office's Elefand registration system (electronic registration of Germans abroad).
What else needs to be considered?
Check these data bases below to search for an internship:
- DAAD Europe
- Erasmus Intern Erasmus Student Network
- Study Work International
- EURES Datenbank
- BayInd India
- ASA Engagement Global Project internships in Asia, Africa, South America and South-East Europe
- kulturweit - der Freiwilligendienst der Deutschen UNESCO Kommission Voluntary social year in the field of nature, culture and education
- EU-LAC Foundation Placements in Latin America
- IAESTE DAAD internship exchange for technical internships worldwide
Worldwide research internships for German students from the natural sciences, life sciences and engineering - that is the short formula for the RISE Worldwide Programme.
- The programme is aimed at bachelor students
- The internships last between one and a half and three months
- The internships take place in the summer during the lecture-free period
- Researchers from accredited higher education and research institutions around the world offer internship projects
- Working language is usually English
- The DAAD places and supports students with scholarships
Further information can be found on the RISE worldwide website of the DAAD.
You can also complete an internship at a European partner university as part of the European Project Semester (EPS). Here you will work in small international teams of 3-6 students on interdisciplinary projects in cooperation with partners from business and industry. Our EPS partner universities are the Novia University of Applied Sciences and the Lodz University of Technology. To learn more about the EPS, click here.