Dear students from Ukraine,
We would like to support you in this difficult time and help you, whether "only" for a transitional period or for a longer period of time, to continue or complete your studies in Ukraine, provided that this is within our possibilities or corresponds to our study programme. In order to be able to help you specifically, we ask you to contact the International Office. We will get back to you and advise you individually.
Please click here for an up-to-date overview up-to-date overview of the degree programmes we currently offer in English. More are in the planning stage. Of course, the other degree programmes (teaching language German, language level B2) are also available to you.
As a state university, we do not charge tuition fees - you only have to pay a student union fee of currently 72.00 euros per semester. Apart from that, you will have to pay an average of 600 - 800 euros for living expenses, including rent.
- Scholarship Program UAre@OTHAW – Application deadline (new applications / renewal applications Summer semester 2024): March 1, 2024
- Overview of English-language degree programmes
- General information for international applicants
- General information for refugees
- Language courses „German as a foreign language”, current offer of the Language Centre
Funding of highly qualified Ukrainian graduates, doctoral candidates and postdoctoral researchers for short research stays in Germany in order to strengthen cooperation between Ukrainian and German universities and to give young Ukrainian scientists access to research infrastructures in Germany. The aim of the programme is to support universities in Ukraine and to enable young scientists to contribute to the reconstruction of Ukraine and its science landscape.
Who can apply?
Highly qualified Ukrainian graduate students (Master's students), doctoral students, postdoctoral researchers (postdocs, university teachers) working/enrolled in higher education institutions in Ukraine, regardless of the country in which they currently reside.
What can be funded?
The programme provides funding for a research stay at a state or state-recognised institution of higher education or a non-university research institute in Germany, which is being carried out in coordination with a scientific host/supervisor in Germany. Project proposals from all academic disciplines are eligible for funding.
Duration of the funding
- Funding is provided for one month to a maximum of six months. Please indicate in your application how long you wish to receive funding. The funding period will then be determined during the selection process by a selection committee. The committee takes into account your work plan.
- Applications must be submitted at least three months before the planned research stay.
- Possible funding period: 1.3.2024 to 31.1.2025.
- The grant is non-renewable.
Welcome to Germany!
Dear Ukrainian students and researchers, we would like to offer you a first orientation in Germany and especially in the German higher education and research system.
- Study Opportunities in Germany – Find Study Programmes
- Offers on the path to studying – Welcome to Digital Campus!
- German Language Skills – Learning German
Are you affected by the war in Ukraine and would like to study in Germany? The Digital Campus supports you with numerous offers on your way to study in Germany.
Selection of free offers:
- Participation in the onSET self-assessment test.
- Booking of an online self-study course via the learning platform Deutsch-Uni Online
- Participation in the TestDaF language test recognized at all German universities
- Participation in the study aptitude test TestAS, which is recognized at many universities
The war in Ukraine continues. This situation is shocking, the news situation is staggering. However, the willingness of the population to help is impressive. Like many other universities, OTH Amberg-Weiden has also reacted quickly and created offers to support Ukrainian students and academics. The university continues to be involved at various levels.
- February 2023: Awarding of eight scholarships in the UAre@OTHAW project (DAAD funding program "Zukunft Ukraine").
- December 2022: Announcement of seven scholarships for Ukrainian students UAre@OTHAW (DAAD funding program "Zukunft Ukraine")
- October 2022: presentation of OTH Amberg-Weiden at the online university fair "Study in Bavaria", which was aimed at young interested people from Ukraine who are considering studying in the Free State, together with 18 universities and colleges from all over Bavaria
- October 2022: 41 Ukrainian students are enrolled at OTH Amberg-Weiden for the winter semester 2022/2023, 19 of them in regular full-time studies.
- July 2022: There are currently around 60 Ukrainian refugees enrolled as guest students at OTH Amberg-Weiden.
- July 2022: Meeting of Marian Mure (KOMO) with Serhij Lukanjuk, Head of the International Office of the University of Czernowitz, as well as with Galina Bogachenko, Project and Programme Manager of the International Office of the KROK University in Kiev.
- June 2022: KOMO collection campaign (use for medical and hygienic items for Ukrainian university partners)
- June 2022: Application in the DAAD funding programme „Future Ukraine - Scholarship Programme for Refugees from Ukraine at German Universities” by KOMO (commitment in December 2022, funding for 2023 and 2024)
- May 2022: Application in the DAAD programme „Ukraine digital” for the project "DILLUGIS - Digital Labs & Lectures for Ukrainian, German & International Students" by Prof. Dr. Julia Heigl (approval, funding until the end of 2022)
- May 2022: Ukraine Evening with typical Ukrainian specialties and music, organized by the International Students Club (ISC)
- May 2022: Playing for Peace! Benefit concert by the Ukrainian musician and artist „Make like a Tree” at the Weiden campus
- Subsequent enrolment of 15 Ukrainian refugees as guest students in the summer semester 2022
- May 2022: Ice cream promotion of the Study and Career Services (Report – only in German)
- May 2022: Admission of two Ukrainian guest researchers - Dr. Dmytro Antonuik and Dr. Kateryna Antoniuk from the National Technical University Zaporizhzhya
- 17.03.22 - Press release: OTH Amberg-Weiden helps: Quick and unbureaucratic access to higher education for Ukrainian refugees (Report – only in German)
- March 2022: Collection campaign for donations in kind at both university locations and participation in aid transports
- 28.02.2022 - Press release: Solidarity with partners in Ukraine (Report – only in German)
For #Europe For #Peace #StandWithUkraine
We share Bayhost’s conviction that the Russian attack on Ukraine damages the successful and friendly cooperation with partner institutions in both Ukraine and Russia that has grown over many years. Our thoughts are with our Ukrainian academic partners, Ukrainian students and their families.
Since its foundation, OTH Amberg-Weiden has been a cosmopolitan university with close ties to international partners and currently has 24 percent international students (student statistics - Primuss, as of 09.06.2022). There are intensive cooperations with numerous partners worldwide - especially in Central and Eastern Europe and, due to various projects carried out since 2014, also intensive contacts with 13 universities in Ukraine. The university partnership has been contractually fixed with three of these universities for many years: National Yuri Fedkovich University (Chernivtsi), National Technical University of Ukraine (Kiev) and KROK University (Kiev). In the context of international projects (currently INTERADIS with eight Ukrainian university partners) and other German-Ukrainian projects, relations are also maintained with other universities in Ukraine. Despite and precisely because of the current situation, OTH Amberg-Weiden is pursuing the goal of maintaining and further expanding its cooperative relationships in Ukraine. This also includes supporting refugee students and academics from Ukraine.
The exchange and projects with Ukrainian partner universities of the OTH Amberg-Weiden are managed by KOMO (with the support of the International Office).
Voices of our Ukrainian partners
- Süddeutsche Zeitung series Ukrainian Diary (Ukrainisches Tagebuch – in German) by Oxana Matiychuk of the University of Chernivtsi
- Interview with Serhij Lukanjuk, Head of the International Office of the National Yuri Fedkovych University in Czernowitz Report by Oberpfalz TV from 24.02.2022
- Interview with Prof. Dr. Tatyana Ivanovska, Professor for Artificial intelligence at OTH Amberg-Weiden, who is from East Ukraine
Report by Oberpfalz TV from 24.02.2022
Impressions of projects with Ukrainian universities
Application deadline (new applications / renewal applications Summer semester 2024): March 1, 2024
The Ostbayerische Technische Hochschule (OTH) Amberg-Weiden has successfully acquired funding for Ukrainian students within the framework of the DAAD funding program "Zukunft Ukraine - Scholarship Program for Refugees from Ukraine at German Universities". OTH Amberg-Weiden will thus be able to award scholarships to enrolled Ukrainian students in 2023 and 2024.
The scholarship serves to finance full-time studies (Bachelor, Master, Ph.D.) at the OTH Amberg-Weiden. It is granted for the current funding period and can be extended for a further funding period if necessary, but not beyond the end of 2024.
The amount of the scholarship is 931,-€ per month. It is paid in monthly installments.
|01.01.2023 - 30.09.2023
|01.10.2023 - 30.04.2024
|01.05.2024 - 31.12.2024
Interested parties are kindly requested to read the application procedure (see PDF "Call for applications") as well as the FAQs of the DAAD funding program "Zukunft".
- Call for applications UAre@OTHAW
- UAre@OTHAW declaration of application form for Ukrainian Students
- DAAD FAQs about the call for applications „Zukunft Ukraine” - Scholarship program for refugees from Ukraine at German universities (in German only)
If you have any questions, please contact the KOMO team.
- Padlet with useful information for Ukrainian guests in Sulzbach-Rosenberg and Amberg.
- Free online courses to learn German (especially for Ukrainians): Speexx and free access to Duolingo English tests (the latter through contact with the language centre of the OTH Amberg-Weiden).
- Dekoder translates Russian and Belarusian voices from independent (not state-controlled) media - awarded the Grimme Online Award
War in Ukraine - background information (in Russian or German)
- DAAD - Support for Ukrainian Students and Academics
- DAAD - Studying in Germany - Funding
- #ScienceForUkraine is a community of volunteer students and researchers from academic institutions in Europe and around the world https://scienceforukraine.eu
- Chance for Science Conference 2022 - Conference for academics affected by the war in Ukraine https://www.chance-for-science.eu/
- Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior, Sports and Integration - Aid in the Ukraine crisis www.ukraine-hilfe.bayern.de
- Offer accommodation for people from Ukraine
- The district of Amberg-Sulzbach is looking for accommodation for refugees
Anyone who would like to offer flats, flats or single-family houses for refugees should contact the head of the social welfare office at the Amberg-Sulzbach district office.
Offer property via online form: www.kreis-as.de/wohnangebote
Offers of assistance in the Ukraine crisis at the Amberg-Sulzbach district
- City of Amberg - Ukraine-Help Coordination Group
Collection campaigns and collection points in the Amberg area - ZAMHALTN
- City of Weiden - How you can help
- District NEW – Landkreis NEW
- District TIR – Landkreis TIR
- District SAD – Landkreis SAD
- City of Schwandorf – Stadt Schwandorf
- ISMO GmbH organises the distribution of donations from the Polish-Ukrainian border via its Ukrainian employees
IKGS, the Institute for German Culture and History of Southeast Europe at LMU Munich is appealing for donations for the care of internally displaced persons in Bukovina to the following account:
DE23 7015 0000 0907 2714 07, SSKMDEMMXXX, Münchner Stadtsparkasse.
Our long-standing university partner, the Gedankendach Centre of our partner university, the Yuri Fedkovich University of Chernivtsi, will take care of the use of the donations with its team and network.
Libereco - Partnership for Human Rights and Восток SOS are currently collecting money to help Ukrainians evacuate.
Those willing to donate use the following bank details:
Intended purpose: Ukraine
IBAN: DE96 8309 4495 0003 3203 32
BIC: GENO DE F1 ETK